Fresh tattoos and derby

General off topic chat - public forum

Fresh tattoos and derby

Postby wrathofkharon » Tue May 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I got inked on my lower arm last week and I'm now wondering how long I should let it heal before I return to training. The internet has many answers to this question and they're all different apart from 'whatever you do, you'll die horribly from a staph infection'. I'll call and ask my artist for advice tomorrow but since I don't expect them to know much about roller derby I wondered if anyone in here had fresh tattoo + derby experiences to share. How long did you wait before training after you got your tattoo? Did you cover it up and how? Did you choose not to participate in contact drills? etc. etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Wrath
wrathofkharon

Re: Fresh tattoos and derby

Postby Mags Payne » Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Hello!

Basically everyone is different. Have you been tattooed before? If so, you know how you heal, which helps.

I refereed a double header the day after a 4 hour session on my upper arm. I had to wear elbow pads (of course). If it's on an area where your wrist guard is going to sit, I'd maybe skip a week. That friction right on the edge of the guard won't help. Otherwise, if it's uncovered it should be fine.

If you do want to go ahead, what I did was super moisturised it, lightly wrapped in cling film, slipped on my pad and then pulled the clingfilm down over the pad so as little of it was covered as necessary. Also made it less likely to stick to the pad.

You may want to speak to first aid about our policy on open wounds (cause it is!).

Happy inking!
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.
Mags Payne

Postby Stellar » Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 pm

I went back to derby the next day, because... that's what I do. I had to ask people not to grab me on my upper arm / my back because it hurt, but generally it was okay. I moisturized / applied Bephaten fairly often. I went to Sk8cersize on the same day I got my upper arm done - I had it wrapped nicely in cling film.

However, neither of my recent ones were under any of the pads, so that's what motivated me to go. I would probably not gone back right away if there was anything that was under the pads - I would not want that kind of friction on what essentially is a scar. A very pretty colourful scar. :)
Board // Officials // Holidays wrangler (SEC) // First Aider
Stellar

Postby Princess Die » Wed May 24, 2017 5:27 am

I had my hand/wrist area tattooed in January, three days before a game. I got it done on Wednesday, so skipped training on the Thursday and on Saturday for the game, I fired on a load of cream, and then put a cut off sock over it then or on my wristguard.

Was totally fine but I've got a lot of tattoos so like mags said, I know how I heal so that helped.

Lucy once had a huge piece done before a game, frankenstenins monster actoss her whole arm. She covered it in cling film and at the end of the game there was green stuff everywhere and we thought the ink all came out :lol: it hadn't it was fine.
Spokesy for Communications Committee // Bootcamps // Coach // First Aid // Captain of the ASTROS
Princess Die

Postby Danisaurus Wrecks » Wed May 24, 2017 7:35 am

I had my thigh tattooed and went to training the next day and it was fine. I just wore leggings but didn't do anything else for it ha
Visiting Skater Liason
Danisaurus Wrecks

Postby wrathofkharon » Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the advice!

Moisturising, wrapping and pulling the film back over the pad is a good idea, Mags, thanks. The tattoo will be covered by both my elbow and wrist guard which is what causes me most concern. I have other tattoos but those were eight and four years ago and I wasn't much into sports back then so don't really remember much of the aftercare process other than not having any problems.

My new one is healing quite well. I had it done Thursday and it started peeling and itching (!) two days ago. I might give it another few days days of rest before I derby with it to save myself the paranoia.

Princess Die wrote:Lucy once had a huge piece done before a game, frankenstenins monster actoss her whole arm. She covered it in cling film and at the end of the game there was green stuff everywhere and we thought the ink all came out :lol: it hadn't it was fine.
:o :lol:
wrathofkharon

Postby LuPaul » Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am

Princess Die wrote:
Lucy once had a huge piece done before a game, frankenstenins monster actoss her whole arm. She covered it in cling film and at the end of the game there was green stuff everywhere and we thought the ink all came out :lol: it hadn't it was fine.

Haha, aye, that happened :shock: :lol: I cling filmed it and put a sock on too (with bepanthen before covering), and my wrist guard and elbow pad were over it. I didn't notice it at all during the game though (suppose adrenaline and excitement and that!), but then a big green moisturised (with bepanthen and sweat, haha) bit came off and I thought Frankenstein had died...but it was totally fine! Think the game was like a week after. But I went to a training beforehand too, and just kept an eye on it and covered with the cling film and a sock! But just didn't go to the first training after it (if I'd not had a game I probably would have missed a couple more!).

And now you've made me reminisce and miss skating, haha.
I do things for Communications.
And some other shiz, yo.
LuPaul

Postby So Solid Sue » Sun May 28, 2017 11:49 am

Mines was under my elbow pad a bit, but yeah I just put loads of moisturiser on and cling filmed it - it was totally fine! When I got the one further up my arm I just made sure people I was doing drills with knew not to grab that bit too hard!
Treasurer of the treasures
So Solid Sue

Return to The Lounge