Knee pad upgrade question

Discussions about essential kit, the best wheels, and how to tart yourself up Derby style! (plus where to lay your hands on all this stuff)

Knee pad upgrade question

Postby MolliciousMischief » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Excessively long and specific, sorry...

So when I was first getting my kit together I had great intentions of going cheap with everything else but getting excellent knee pads... but then panicked at the cost of excellent knee pads, and ended up disregarding everyone's excellent advice on that point. Now, of course, I am kicking myself over that false economy, especially after getting a bruise *through* my knee pad the other day and so having to hastily buy some gaskets to supplement. So now am looking into upgrading, but running into similar worries -- not wanting to spend a bunch of money on the wrong thing, essentially.

I've had my eye on these guys https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/deadb ... _black.htm which sound pretty great and about which I've seen multiple rave reviews, and basically nobody seems to ever have anything bad to say about them -- except that some people don't like the way the straps feel. Which is kind of a big deal, but also entirely a matter of personal preference.

But then when looking at that site in particular, I noticed that these https://www.skatehut.co.uk/clearance_1/ ... d_pink.htm are currently mega-on-sale, so might be a good option? I haven't seen much about them one way or the other, and hunting for reviews seems to mostly just turn up places to buy them.

Plus then also, there's currently a pair of used large Deadbolts on the Recyclables group! But if one of the features is memory foam that shapes to your own knee, would getting used ones just defeat the purpose of that? Especially as I have somewhat odd-shaped knees -- the tops of my tibias stick out a LOT, much farther than the patella when kneeling, so they are the main concern for me.

So, specific questions:

- Does anyone have any advice re: these two brands in particular, and pros & cons of either?

- Would anyone who wears a size L in either of these be willing to let me try theirs on before practice one day, so I can get a feel of what they're like?
MolliciousMischief

Re: Knee pad upgrade question

Postby Princess Die » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:02 pm

MJ did a big survey thing and has amazing advice on kneepads (she recommended mine to me after asking me a couple of questions and they are a million percent amazing for me) so hopefully she'll comment soon, but my input for you is that I have TSG's and they are incredible (though mine are called pro derby 2 so aren't the same as the ones in your link).

I've not heard great things about deadbolts but I've never tried them.

And finally, sadly kneepads are the thing you just do need to spend high on. Cheap ones are a terrible idea. They don't do the job for the amount/intensity of input for derby. Second hand good ones is better than cheap new ones.
Board Member // Spokesy for Fundraising Committee // Events // Bootcamps // Coach // First Aid // Captain of the ASTROS
Princess Die

Postby Mags Payne » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 am

Princess Die wrote:And finally, sadly kneepads are the thing you just do need to spend high on. Cheap ones are a terrible idea. They don't do the job for the amount/intensity of input for derby. Second hand good ones is better than cheap new ones.

Yup, this. Kneepads are expensive, but cheaper than new knees.

I have Smiths scabs. I'm a ref, so like lower profile ones, but I am also a big fat bastard, so when I fall I need something to save my knees!

I wear the L/XL ones and happy to give you a loaner :)
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.
Mags Payne

Postby Princess Die » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:46 am

Here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18455 is someone selling 187's for £20!

And here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18431 scabs for £35.
Board Member // Spokesy for Fundraising Committee // Events // Bootcamps // Coach // First Aid // Captain of the ASTROS
Princess Die

Postby MJJ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:09 am

Morning!

Yes. I'd agree with Die here about her kneepads. They are the best slim-line ones on the market at present, the TSG Force IV, are my favourite still, even though they have made a Force V, but these are more bulky and tend towards the 187s/S1 style - which is fine if you don't mind bulk.

You can pick up a pair of the TSGs for around 80-90 quid, depending on where you buy them. If you are just learning, then the 187s/S1 do provide more soft cushion, but with that softness, there is a chance of rolling off the huge blocks of foam on the inside. However, I am not sure if you can replace the caps on the TSGs as you can on other brands - it's been a while since I've handled them, and I know I've broken a knee cap more than once. That being said, I also think the plastic is a bit thicker so that a crack or break is less likely overall.

Oh, and Deadbolts are meh. I bought a pair just to see what they were like and they are almost identical to the 187s, the main difference is that they are a tad bulkier (if you can believe) and they are covered with a tough material that is less likely to tear or fray when sliding on the floors over and over again. However, I think they are too expensive, too big and, frankly, a waste of money. The only thing they have going for them is the material on the outside. And the foam may mould to your knee, but in truth, it's because it's cheap ass foam that was originally (in the case of 187s especially) used for stuffing cushions, so it's going to mould to a knee over time, just like a sofa moulds to your ass. Moulding doesn't necessarily make it better, it can make it less protective and more jarring to the knee as the foam compacts.

-MJ
Communications/Sponsorship
I do the newsletters, sometimes coach, create sponsorship things, and am the AS Team Manager.
MJJ

Postby MolliciousMischief » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Ah, thanks so much guys that was super helpful! I've gone ahead and ordered the TSGs, now v. excited :)
MolliciousMischief

Return to Look the Part