Ceding a cut and calling of the jam - Open Question

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.

Ceding a cut and calling of the jam - Open Question

Postby Beardylocks » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Hey lovely people!

We've had a couple of questions raised since the new rules have been put in place ( especially after last Thursdays scrim ) so I wanted to post it here with my own thoughts and hopefully get some clarification for folk.

The overall scenario is ceding a cut and calling of a jam and the various permutations of that. Gonna try and break it down into the different situations I've seen.

For all of these, we are looking at the lead jammer undertaking a cut track penalty:

A cut track penalty occurring when the first four set of whistles have been started:
In this situation, the jammer has either successfully triggered the call of the jam before or during their time off the track and before re-entering with a gain in relative position. For this I don't believe a cut track penalty should be issued but the jammer wouldn't score points for the people who were passed while out of bounds.

Example: Green jammer is not in lapping position and has legally passed three blockers in bounds and upright when they begin signalling to call of the jam. As the first block whistles are started by the jammers jammer ref, green jammer gets knocked out of bounds and re-enters in front of the final black blocker. The jam is successfully called off but green jammer is not awarded points on the final blocker.

Rationale:
The jam end whistles take between 1-2 seconds to complete the first block of four. There is not a reasonable amount of time for a jammer to return to track and begin ceding before the end of the block.

A cut track penalty occurring when the jammer has signalled to call of the jam but the whistles haven't been started:
This situation is almost identical to the previous one, except the jammer ref has not started to call of the jam at the point of the jammer returning in bounds. In this situation I would expect a penalty to be called on the jammer unless an immediate attempt to cede the cut was undertaken.

Example: Green jammer is not in lapping position and has legally passed three blockers in bounds and upright, green jammer is momentarily knocked out of bounds and begins signalling to call the jam before re-entering with a gain in relative position against the final black blocker before the jammer ref has started their end of jam whistles without making any attempt to cede. Depending on a few factors ( and the jammer refs reaction to what's happening/whether or not it is the jammer ref who spotted the penalty ) one of two things will happen. Either the jam will be called off and the jammer issued a penalty afterwards, not accruing points for the blocker they gained position on, or the jam will not be called off and the jammer issued an immediate penalty.

Rationale:
Until the first block of whistles have begun the jam is not in the process of being called off and the jammer should have ample time to begin ceding the cut. There could be numerous reasons for the jammer not being in a position to legally call of the jam and as such it should be handled with caution by the jammer.

A cut track penalty occurring when the jammer has completed the cut and stopped to signal calling of the jam:
This situation is handled identically to the previous one. If you stop to call of the jam and the previous situation is accurate, then you aren't making an immediate attempt to cede the cut. A penalty would be issued and no points for the blocker would be awarded.

A cut track penalty occurring when the jammer has completed the cut but moved to cede the cut while signalling to call of the jam:
This situation is basically a straight up ceding the cut with no magic or confusion. Everything the jammer is doing is within the rules for ceding and they are making an immediate attempt to cede. The fact they are calling the jam of at the same time is irrelevant from the penalty perspective. The jammer wouldn't score a point for the blocker they'd cut.
Baby Zebra
Beardylocks

Re: Ceding a cut and calling of the jam - Open Question

Postby emKa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Ok, so first - I think that 'lapping position' is a bit jargon-y aka ref talk - can you maybe explain shortly, my explanation will be muddled ;)

First one - no cut, 3 points (unless NOTT)

2nd - veeery grey area, I think a lot to do with refs discretion - I went to a discretion session at EROC, specifically regarding the new rules and will post notes shortly. Me - skater/jammer - just call off when OOB and do not try to return! this is actually actively trying to gain advantage from the 'new cut rule' - different if it's the momentum taking said jammer back to the track.

last one, same as Beardy.

will come back soon. EROC fried my brain :skull:
/skater/coach / NSO / ref / first aider/
emKa

Return to Rules